+ Reply to Thread

Strength Guardian Updated Build

Reason for this guide:
    The reason I'm creating this guide is because the other guide I've seen floating around is a bit outdated and doesn't take into account the new skills obtained. The others from the old forums are all pretty much the same. This guide is not meant to dictate exactly what you should be with no room for negotiation. I encourage anyone who reads this to merely take it as advice and to break away from it at any time they feel comfortable. That being said, please post all complaints/ criticisms below. This guide is purely for the good of the community, and it would help if we all contributed.

Stat Build:
    This a guide for Strength Guardians, so obviously you'll major in strength. Guardians are unique in that there are a lot of ways to build them and still be successful. I prefer full strength, but other builds include str/vit and str/dex. i would also like to note that when you get really great gear the build you're using doesn't really matter since it has a hybridizing effect. Strength guards can pump out a vicious critical with a nice set of rings.

Strength and vitality builds are usually for newer players or for people who can't afford really great gear. Guardians come in all varieties though. Some people just may want the extra tankiness regardless. I recommend this build for anyone new to class, though knight isn't a difficult class to play in the slightest. Guardian skills do take some adjustment.

Strength and dexterity are for people who like to see a bigger critical or simply don't like to miss as much. It is never a bad thing to add dexterity to your build. A little bit is always useful but don't overdo it. Your main stat is strength. Strength deals the damage and gives you a boost in P.Def as well. Always keep that in mind.

Some people pump 1 point of dexterity into their character with every level and that's just fine. Like I said before, you have a bit of leeway with this. You don't have to be cookie cutter to be good. If you have enough experience to play around withe class, go ahead. The point of playing Rohan is to have fun. Put your own spin on things and try it out.

Only keep Sharpen Blade at level 1 until you get your core Guardian skills. If you follow this guide you should have enough points left over to max Heroic Power and Stunner as soon as they become available. The rest of the skill you can take at your own discretion. You may roll with a shield if you want to, but it's not as vital that you do anymore. If you follow that path be sure ot take Bless Shield and Charge.
    Last edited by AlastorEx; 10-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Skills

There is an order in which you must take your skills. Leave Sharpen Blade at level 1 until you get your guardian skills. The reason being that it's totally useless for lower levels and doesn't take into account the bonus you get from your dagger. It isn't going to make your break your build to leave it at 1 early on and the skill points can be used elsewhere.

Once you hit guardian, straight away max out Sword Mastery and Physical Blow. by time you're 50 you should have some decent weapons.

Add one Point into Taunt roar, as it's necessary to access the rest of the tree.

Immediately max out Crazy Strength and Rush at 54.

At 56 only put one point into Final Crash and Blue Drain. Max out Crazy Standing. Blue drain is a great skill, but again, you have more important skills to get.

At 58 grab both Order Swing and Critical Aura. Order Swing is more important than critical aura simply because it's part of the guardian's main combo. Critical aura is great to have because it adds a boost in the spike damage you deal. Your overall DPS will go up.

At this point get one point in Roha's Blessing, Knight Symbol and Stone Skin. Go back and max out Sharpen Blade.
    The rest of the tree you can fill pretty much at your leisure. I highly recommend Heavy Weapon and War Cry. The combination of those skills will allow you to dominate /any/ melee class that dares to face you head on.

If you followed this guide, once you hit level 100, you should be able to max out heroic power immediately. The same for stunner at 101. Stunner makes it possible for you to keep people under stun for a whole CS. You no longer have to roll with a shield. I still recommend it though. Shields are good for tanking and if you get the optional skills for it will make it really useful as well.

Optional Skills:
    I didn't include these in the guide because they are purely optional. They are useful or cool in their own way. If you followed the guide you should have more than a few points to spare by endgame.

Bleeding
    A nifty little skill to play around with. On the off chance you crit with it, you may deal some serious damage. Not worth investing more than a single point in if at all.

Assault Crash
    I love this skill. If you have some hp/mp leech on your weapon it will allow you tank larger mobs than usual. Personally I keep this at level 1.

Straight Repulse
    Good way to charge OS and deal damage. The animation also looks cool to boot.

Final Crash
    Taking this skill is necessary to unlock Order Swing, but you may max it out as well. Like Straight Repulse it's a great damage dealer and another way to charge up OS.

Bless Shield
    If you're taking shield skills you have to take this one. Pumping it up to level 5 adds damage that you simply negate. Combined with a Molly I think it's around 1/4 of all melee attacks that don't hit you. Additionally you can leave it at level 1 just to get access to the next stun.

Charge
    Another stun you can take in addition to your regular ones. Not worth getting past level 3 unless you SES it.
    Last edited by AlastorEx; 10-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Skills

The order in which you take skills goes as follows:

Knight
    Darkness 5 > Taunt 1 > Rising Might 1 > Sharpen Blade 1 > Invoke 5 > Rising Might 5

Leave Sharpen Blade at level 1 until after you acquire your Guardian skills.

Guardian
    Sword Mastery 5 > Physical Blow 5 > Taunt Roar 1 > Crazy Strength 5 > Rush 5 > Crazy Standing 5 > Final Crash 1 > Blue Drain 1 > Order Swing 5 > Critical Aura 5

Fill out the rest of the tree at your leisure. Once you have your core skills the rest is really just support. Heavy Weapon and War Cry are highly recommended. Heavy Weapon stacked with darkness pretty much invalidates any other melee class under the right conditions. Knight Symbol is for hitting targets through a high amount of physical defense. make sure to go back and max Sharpen blade. The reason for leaving it at level 1 early on is because it's useless at those levels. Any weapon you use will not have enough damage to make it worth the 4 extra points. This changes around the time you get an Itamar.

If you followed this guide you should be able to max Stunner and Heroic power as soon as they become available. With stunner it is no longer necessary to roll with a shield if you don't want to. I still recommend it though, the extra tankiness is very much appreciated. With the skills that go with it, it's great.

Optional Skills
    Not included in the build because they're not really as vital. Take them as you see fit or as suites your own style of play.

Bleeding
    Improves overall DPS as a knight, only time really worth taking in my opinion. It's also fun to lay it own a boss or other tank with a fully charged OS. If you crit while using this skill you may do some brutal damage. You can take this and Assault crash as a knight and still have enough points to max all your core skills as soon as they become available.

Assault Crash
    If you have HP/MP leech on your sword or dagger, it's a great way to recharge. It also allows you to tank larger amounts of mobs without having to spam potion so often. Useful for pulling aggro off the healer or whoever until you get taunt roar. It may be a great way to charge OS if you're surrounded by lowbie mobs. Only worth 1 point.

Straight Repulse.
    Another way of charging OS. Some people can do really great damage with this skill, but still not worth more than one point in my opinion. Yours may differ. The animation looks cool.

Final Crash
    Taking this skill is necessary to unlock Order Swing, but maxing it out is optional. If you just want to have a lot of attack skills, this is a definite must have. Does more damage than Knight Symbol in PvE and against bosses.

Bless Shield
    If you're wanting to roll with a shield this is the skill to have. Rolling with a shield isn't something you necessarily have to do anymore. Great skill for tanking melee classes and really shines if you've got a Molly. You need to take it for the additional Shield Stun.

Charge
    Shield stun. Take it if you want, but not worth getting over level 3. If you have to SES it to 4 or 5. Guardians in the past rolled a shield for this skill, but with Stunner it's not necessary anymore.
    Last edited by AlastorEx; 10-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...SkillGuide.png

Only keep Rising Might at level 1 until you get all your guardian skills. if you followed this guide you should have enough to max Heroic Power and Stunner as soon as they become available. The rest of the skills are optional.
    Last edited by AlastorEx; 10-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Only keep Sharpen Blade at level 1 until you get your core Guardian skills. If you follow this guide you should have enough points left over to max Heroic Power and Stunner as soon as they become available. The rest of the skill you can take at your own discretion. You may roll with a shield if you want to, but it's not as vital that you do anymore. If you follow that path be sure to take Bless Shield and Charge.