+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte28 View Post
    Wow now this is a name from the very distant past.

I'm still involved in Rohan but in a different capacity and not here... if you know what I mean

Rohan is a very difficult game to step away from (un)fortunately.
    Hey there, Neophyte28! Private server, eh? If I created the game, I would take that as flattery

Im skeptical as fuuuuuuuuuuuck that OP is redryder gonna need more evidence. Forgive me for not being all nostalgic about your time but this game has a bad reputation when it comes to honest people.

Iceyy~~No longer a Rohan Expert
    ROHAN: Game s0x
    Unofficial post count: Whatever it says on the left + 9461

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyangel View Post
    Im skeptical as fuuuuuuuuuuuck that OP is redryder gonna need more evidence. Forgive me for not being all nostalgic about your time but this game has a bad reputation when it comes to honest people.
    I'm quite sure it's his writing and posting style. I think it's the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyangel View Post
    Totally understand your skepticism. What do u mean that it has a bad reputation when it comes to honest people?

Quote Originally Posted by White Arctic Fox View Post
    I was around back then but I was too noob to be remembered. However, it's really nice to see people return to this game after such a long time . Have fun and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch, my characters name is in my signature.
    Your still a noob and a retard

We Will Hunt You Down

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTuramus View Post
    Not nice. 9 years ago, I would have given you a warning for that

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderOG View Post
    Totally understand your skepticism. What do u mean that it has a bad reputation when it comes to honest people?
    With the increasingly high cost of items in this game many have resorted to creating fake identities and scamming players left and right. Ever heard of shawnc1186? Case and point.

Iceyy~~No longer a Rohan Expert
    ROHAN: Game s0x
    Unofficial post count: Whatever it says on the left + 9461

Thanks for the breakdown Ryder! I still wish you were a GM again! -smiles- I'll try to look at it from the perspective that you've mentioned. I understand that things must evolve. However, I also understand the old mantra "if it isn't broke don't fix it!" -smiles- You are correct that Rohan's longevity is a testament to its quality especially in the game mechanics department. Insofar as a pure hardcore PVP MMO, it's still one of the best out there! Since leaving Rohan and coming back, I've played most of the other current flagship MMO's like: WOW, ESO, BDO, GW2, and Arch-Age (Relics of Hiram). However, the only two MMO's that are no installed on my desktop/laptop are Rohan and Star Trek Online. Neither are the most current games; however, something about both keeps me engaged. Again, it's good to see you back with the experience & perspective that you bring to the game! -cheers-!

Dank je, Fox!
    Wow je bent Nederlands? Ik zou graag is willen overleggen met je over hoe het er terug in de tijd aan toe ging, misschien kan ik daar nog iets van leren. Ik speel dit spel al heel erg lang en heb erg mijn best gedaan om het te verbeteren, dit lukt alleen maar met mondjesmaat. In ieder geval leuk om je hier terug te zien na zo'n lange tijd!!

Smoothe, thanks for the detailed update! And I appreciate the props. I'm sure that the current GMs are doing their best with what they're able to do. And while I'm sorry to hear that they don't seem as player-focused as the old days, I can tell you first hand that running a game as a service is HARD. You have to get the game balanced, the updates working, new content to keep it fresh, and finding the right people isn't easy. And at the end of the day, a game needs to make money in order for it to survive. Since the game launched in '08, we've seen games monetize the "right" way (Fortnite) and game monetize the "wrong" way (Star Wars Battlefront II). Generally in my experience in the game industry, there are 6 ways to earn money from a game:
    1) pay for it outright (this is a dying model)
    2) subscription (this is uncommon nowadays)
    3) paying for items that allow you to advance more quickly through levels or move throughout the gameworld more quickly
    4) paying for "vanity" items that are merely cosmetic but don't offer any kind of advantage over another player
    5) advertising (doesn't work well unless you are a NASCAR or FIFA type of game in which advertising is an integral part of the environment)
    6) donations like Kickstarter, Patreon, GoFundme, etc.

Back in the YNK days, I was in many conference room meetings where we discussed monetization. "Pay to win" was never an attractive model to me. I hope that it's not like that now. But like I said, it's not easy running a game, and especially not easy running a PROFITABLE game. I will say that the fact that the game is still around after over 10 years speaks to the quality of the game at its core, and the quality of the community that it draws.
    The most successful games (League of Legends, Fortnite etc.) Basically rely on F2P + skins2pay. You can play it at no cost and the only items that cost money are basically skins/emotes/apperances and so on these do not give direct advantages over another player but they do allow you to ''show off''. This concept is mostly combined with microtransactions (Fortnite) and you get a really profitable game.

I do however not think that this model will work for rohan since the main playerbase now consist for 80% of veterans and they have invested thousands of dollars into this game, switching to basically free2play for all items would mean most of them would quit.
    Salve - Dragon Sage
    Superiors - Guildmaster

New/Returning Player Guide
    http://forum.playrohan.com/forum/sho...#axzz5nYmMs51h

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTuramus View Post
    Mad+100

Not nice. 9 years ago, I would have given you a warning for that
    lool, don't bother with him, he's a shame to our country.
    Salve - Dragon Sage
    Superiors - Guildmaster

New/Returning Player Guide
    http://forum.playrohan.com/forum/sho...#axzz5nYmMs51h