+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Back after 9 years 😈

What's up, Rohanians? My name is RedRyder, former Creator and Head of Community for the game. I left the game in 2010 when I left the company (YNK Interactive). I just started a new account to show my son (now in 2nd grade) the in-game NPC that I had named after him 😸. Unfortunately, my GM account with epic gear was shut down when I left, so I'm naked as a newborn entering the ROHAN world for the first time in 9 years. Cheers to any of you who were around way back then (we launched in 2008). If you see me grinding around, stop me and say HEY! I'll probably be showing my son around the world so go easy on me/us.

xo,
    RR

P.S. Does anyone remember Zamora and know how I can contact her? She hijacked my Twitter account and I want it back!

Well, holy hell! Hi there, RR!!

I remember you and your love-hate relationship with the player known as "Flare", do you remember? haha - I never really used to post a lot on the forums back then, so you probably won't remember me, but dam I remember you. I'm one of the few original players left playing (Been playing since the 1st day of OB, tho I'm currently on a break from the game of sorts - one of many that I've taken over the years) and a lot of the others have moved onto other things. Can't say I recall Zamora tho, sorry.

The game has changed sooooo much since you were here, some good, some bad, but well, hope you and your son have fun

When you wake up..
    I'll be a story in your head,
    But that's ok.
    We are all stories in the end.

Just make it a good one eh?
    Because it was, you know.
    It was the best.

~ The Doctor.

MsAbella ~ Priest

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderOG View Post
    What's up, Rohanians? My name is RedRyder, former Creator and Head of Community for the game. I left the game in 2010 when I left the company (YNK Interactive). I just started a new account to show my son (now in 2nd grade) the in-game NPC that I had named after him 😸. Unfortunately, my GM account with epic gear was shut down when I left, so I'm naked as a newborn entering the ROHAN world for the first time in 9 years. Cheers to any of you who were around way back then (we launched in 2008). If you see me grinding around, stop me and say HEY! I'll probably be showing my son around the world so go easy on me/us.

xo,
    RR

P.S. Does anyone remember Zamora and know how I can contact her? She hijacked my Twitter account and I want it back!
    I was around back then but I was too noob to be remembered. However, it's really nice to see people return to this game after such a long time . Have fun and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch, my characters name is in my signature.
    Salve - Dragon Sage
    Superiors - Guildmaster

New/Returning Player Guide
    http://forum.playrohan.com/forum/sho...#axzz5nYmMs51h

Hey RedRyder! I remember you! My real life wife and I are also old school Rohan players from 10 years ago back in the Ynk days. In many ways, Rohan Ynk gave you more for you money back then than does Rohan Playwith. The game has become "excessively" monetized now. Here are some examples: Costumes purchased back in Ynk days came with stats attached. With Playwith, now costumes don't come with stats and require separate so called "patterns" to have stats which are not even permanent but only 30 days! -Sheesh- But the madness doesn't end there. Very expensive end game weapons like Epics which we paid $150 (15K RP) are now replaced by Trans & Trans Opa weapons which use these silly "sockets" which allow for a "TEMPORARY" weapon enhance for -drum roll- three whole days! Again this is monetizing what used to be permanent by making it temporary. However, it doesn't stop there! Mounts like snow cougars and the like which used to be permanent after purchasing them from the item mall are now all only 30 days only with the exception for the goofy looking "bison" one. IMHO Ynk was more user friendly to its player base than Playwith. Even GM's are not of the same caliber as old Ynk GM's who where much more social and fun than Playwith's GM's who seem more like GM bots than real GM's. My wife and I recently returned a couple of months ago and spent waaaay too much money for this game. We missed the nostalgia and many of the game community. You were always a great GM! I wish Playwith would hire you back to teach these new GM's a thing or two. Anyway, good to hear from you. "TwilightEdge" (Janus) Tempest. Originally started 10 years ago on Ankma Server with the guild "WhiteRose" and later formed the guild that many may remember called "QuestCrew." I also had various toons who where members of guild "Forever" which dominated Ankma back in those days. Yes, I remember Esoteric as well. It's always great to run into the true "OG" players of Rohan. Hope to see you guys around in the realms. PEACE!
    Last edited by Smoothe; 01-28-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Banned
    OMG It's RedRyder!!! Long time no see!!
    The name zamora sounds familiar, but I suspect that player left a long time ago like 80% of the players.
    Last edited by PenguinJoe; 01-28-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Wow now this is a name from the very distant past.

I'm still involved in Rohan but in a different capacity and not here... if you know what I mean

Rohan is a very difficult game to step away from (un)fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxAurorAxXx View Post
    Well, holy hell! Hi there, RR!!

I remember you and your love-hate relationship with the player known as "Flare", do you remember? haha - I never really used to post a lot on the forums back then, so you probably won't remember me, but dam I remember you. I'm one of the few original players left playing (Been playing since the 1st day of OB, tho I'm currently on a break from the game of sorts - one of many that I've taken over the years) and a lot of the others have moved onto other things. Can't say I recall Zamora tho, sorry.

The game has changed sooooo much since you were here, some good, some bad, but well, hope you and your son have fun
    What up, xXxAurorAxXx! Yes I definitely remember you. And I remember CB and OB like it was yesterday. Was definitely an electric time. I also remember many/most of us sleeping on cots and at our desks for days on end... that part I don't miss at all! I spent an hour in-game last night and yeah, I can definitely see a lot of changes. My son kept asking me questions about what this is or how to do that, and I could only reply, "Umm... I don't know! There's lots of changes and it's been 9 years since I've played it!" That answer didn't satisfy him much ��. It's his very first MMORPG (and RPG, for that matter) so he's really digging it. Thanks for saying hello!

Quote Originally Posted by White Arctic Fox View Post
    I was around back then but I was too noob to be remembered. However, it's really nice to see people return to this game after such a long time . Have fun and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch, my characters name is in my signature.

Dank je, Fox!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothe View Post
    Hey RedRyder! I remember you! My real life wife and I are also old school Rohan players from 10 years ago back in the Ynk days. In many ways, Rohan Ynk gave you more for you money back then than does Rohan Playwith. The game has become "excessively" monetized now. Here are some examples: Costumes purchased back in Ynk days came with stats attached. With Playwith, now costumes don't come with stats and require separate so called "patterns" to have stats which are not even permanent but only 30 days! -Sheesh- But the madness doesn't end there. Very expensive end game weapons like Epics which we paid $150 (15K RP) are now replaced by Trans & Trans Opa weapons which use these silly "sockets" which allow for a "TEMPORARY" weapon enhance for -drum roll- three whole days! Again this is monetizing what used to be permanent by making it temporary. However, it doesn't stop there! Mounts like snow cougars and the like which used to be permanent after purchasing them from the item mall are now all only 30 days only with the exception for the goofy looking "bison" one. IMHO Ynk was more user friendly to its player base than Playwith. Even GM's are not of the same caliber as old Ynk GM's who where much more social and fun than Playwith's GM's who seem more like GM bots than real GM's. My wife and I recently returned a couple of months ago and spent waaaay too much money for this game. We missed the nostalgia and many of the game community. You were always a great GM! I wish Playwith would hire you back to teach these new GM's a thing or two. Anyway, good to hear from you. "TwilightEdge" (Janus) Tempest. Originally started 10 years ago on Ankma Server with the guild "WhiteRose" and later formed the guild that many may remember called "QuestCrew." I also had various toons who where members of guild "Forever" which dominated Ankma back in those days. Yes, I remember Esoteric as well. It's always great to run into the true "OG" players of Rohan. Hope to see you guys around in the realms. PEACE!
    Smoothe, thanks for the detailed update! And I appreciate the props. I'm sure that the current GMs are doing their best with what they're able to do. And while I'm sorry to hear that they don't seem as player-focused as the old days, I can tell you first hand that running a game as a service is HARD. You have to get the game balanced, the updates working, new content to keep it fresh, and finding the right people isn't easy. And at the end of the day, a game needs to make money in order for it to survive. Since the game launched in '08, we've seen games monetize the "right" way (Fortnite) and game monetize the "wrong" way (Star Wars Battlefront II). Generally in my experience in the game industry, there are 6 ways to earn money from a game:
    1) pay for it outright (this is a dying model)
    2) subscription (this is uncommon nowadays)
    3) paying for items that allow you to advance more quickly through levels or move throughout the gameworld more quickly
    4) paying for "vanity" items that are merely cosmetic but don't offer any kind of advantage over another player
    5) advertising (doesn't work well unless you are a NASCAR or FIFA type of game in which advertising is an integral part of the environment)
    6) donations like Kickstarter, Patreon, GoFundme, etc.

Back in the YNK days, I was in many conference room meetings where we discussed monetization. "Pay to win" was never an attractive model to me. I hope that it's not like that now. But like I said, it's not easy running a game, and especially not easy running a PROFITABLE game. I will say that the fact that the game is still around after over 10 years speaks to the quality of the game at its core, and the quality of the community that it draws.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
    OMG It's RedRyder!!! Long time no see!!
    The name zamora sounds familiar, but I suspect that player left a long time ago like 80% of the players.
    What up, PJ?!