+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    If you drop an item you just forge a new one.
    Pay 2 Win is my middle name

Eline - Templar, soon the best ever
    MrMango - Dragon Knight

If you need something you can ask. You can ask, doesnt mean i'll give what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by soulholder View Post
    I mean I don't see why they couldn't just create a new HTTPS request instance between being in-game and hitting a server-select button to create a new session while killing off the old one after the handshake happens. You can pass login credentials/authorization from the existing/prior session data and just pass it over in the middle of a splash/loading screen to hide the brief disconnect. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could also run a background client verification service on-load to the server-select screen as though the client was restarted to avoid any potential game hacks during the brief disconnected handover state. Though even then it's a little frivolous. It might not be modular but there are definitely ways around that.

My guess is they don't have an engine netcode programmer to implement this. Seems easy but I doubt there's any reasonably good API to do that kind of exchange; if there was, odds are we'd already have seen the feature years ago.

I think they just mean general game options, though (res change, etc. for splash screens), not just server selection. This would be a nice QoL feature and presumably wouldn't be too hard to implement given modern engines and manipulating GUI's on top of their existing graphics-scaling API's, though I know next to nothing about the game's client engine and what those screens are running on. Though if memory serves there's a cfg file which contains resolution data for the game, which begs questions why the splash/login/server select screens don't utilize this. Probably some ingrained and hard-coded resolution for splash screens if I had to guess, done just for low-res monitors to maximize compatibility. Likely one-layer/single-image and non-scalar, which would likely mean some script creation to parse the values in the cfg and scale the UI (the easy part), and more difficult, engine tweaks to execute the script and change the UI for displaying, which again, who knows if they even have any of those engine devs around these days.

They cannot change game engine, all the updates came from korean version of rohan. We get same patch as korean players. When we report problems, they have to forward them to korean team(which probably is making the game). Probably PLAYWITH INTERACTIVE is bunch of people making just cash from game, by releasing it on european market.

Strange thing that indo can play on european version they should be banned...

Playwith's global subsidiary groups can't, no, but they do have contact with Korea to demand bugfixes. I just suspect even Korea lacks sourced-in engine developers due to their cost and age of this game's engine.
    Former-forum Overlord
    HellHunter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soulholder View Post
    Playwith's global subsidiary groups can't, no, but they do have contact with Korea to demand bugfixes. I just suspect even Korea lacks sourced-in engine developers due to their cost and age of this game's engine.
    And there is the key to why some of the annoying little bugs or lack of convenience features have never really appeared.
    Most of PW's core engine developers left about 2 years after the game was released. They were expensive and PW was not interested in keeping expensive people around once the game was released. Sure they had one or two giuys around wikth some engine knoeledge, but after about 10 years I can't see themn sticking around past the YNK->PW handoff.

At most PW can change peripheral content. Things like damage calculators, creating UI components, adding 'chance' components and messing with the bins/maps/quests, et al is fully within their possibilities.

I enter as proof the whole lack of real integration when the Trinity race was added to RBF. It felt like that was added in with chewing gum and duck tape. It was so badly done that you could not even seal a character to change its name or sell it. That is because it was done tby people that did not have enough core knowledge to add it correctly (the old 2010 version of the game actually did have all the bits available to add the Halfling race - including a Town {Rembeck} for it but meh!).

I wasn't here for the new race. Although those kinds of features would presumably be readily available for modifying in the engine itself - the stuff normal devs do. And I know until the time I left where there were enough devs such that there was consideration to move a dedicated developer to the global servers. I want to say they couldn't get anyone willing to come. I trust that connections and so on are likely rigged into a packaged block of boiled-down netcode abstracted from the developers. Without a dedicated engine programmer there's likely little way to mess with this. The new race looked bad, but I think it was done to try amd get people to play and generate revenue than to come with a proper race release; halflings were alluded to be on their way in the game lore since launch, and even more so given the Giant lore.
    Former-forum Overlord
    HellHunter