+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Commoner
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaBandit View Post
    That you post that and equate it to love only shows us all that you have no idea at all what love really is. You would think with a degree in psychology you would have at least some clue. If not your professors should be tossed out of the college on their heads.
    The fact that you can't understand you can have love without marriage, and marriage without love continues to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gank83 View Post
    The fact that you can't understand you can have love without marriage, and marriage without love continues to amaze me.
    But think about the deception! That everyone else fails, but you can't because of this super awesome special unique person who is meant for you? The idea of true love which makes you sign the contract gladly and give everything you have. Oh how greedy and selfish I was! And of course, if that person is different, it's even more challenging lol.

And then later you might discover it was all like a campaign before elections. You realize who provides for those sweet Biblical birds who just sing and don't work, but what can you do? If you're given a lot, you have to work like a dog and share. That's at least what I do and can't say I'm unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactica View Post
    What you are saying about this simple fact that it's always something than rather nothing, was not devised by some Muslim philosopher. I learned about it at studies which had nothing to do with religion, quite the opposite. The professor who was a Marxist explained and agreed with all the ideas you mentioned here with the same passion.

To some point you also mention the idea of perfection and imperfect sad versions of ourselves.
    Plato, among others, talks about the world of ideas. We tend to make ideal images of ourselves and our world in our heads and then show the world some other image and whine: You don't know real, true me! Yes, I know what I see lol.

Why am I telling this?
    Because I also know that every person has some perfect image of himself/herself and wants to look like that in front of others. We, as a community, world, or idk how to call it, should help everyone to make us see his/her „true“ self, and then start to talk what we have in common.
    So, if you feel you can enlighten people or share something with them, first you have to like them (we’re not gods, only God loves everybody). Have you ever accepted some advice from a person who openly hates you? How can we change people and the world if we hate anybody?

On the other hand, I'm well aware of the fact that at the time when all these brilliant thinkers were contemplating about human nature and trying hard to find something what will bring us closer, masses were probably poking their noses or showing their tongue, thinking only about what they wanted and desired at that particular moment. But maybe they learned later, who knows?
    Yet it still was devised by a Muslim philosipher, but he wasn't actually a muslim when he devised it. I mean, to be a Muslim u have to believe in God but since he wanted to prove that God exists his first step was to not believe in gods ezistence , then he moved to the world and how did it start then he reached to the final conclusion which is GOD is real.
    And then I think u are mistaking the word perfection here, I meant it in the ONLY 1 way which is non mistakes are done like when decartist described it, I'm not talking about the beauty perfection or the body perfection since those are things u can't decide since u haven't ever seen god. If god does mistakes then u would be saying that he is just another human like us but how can a human create a human, and u would be asking ur self who is the perfect thing in this world and then u will go back to the fact that God exists. And it's like u haven't done anything.
    Then, enlightening people doesn't have to mean giving them advices, it can mean opinions discussions then conclusions.
    And yes I will accept someones advice as long as I have a brain to think if that advice is meant to hurt me or benefit me, since u are saying that this guy hates me.

I find this so hilarious. Seems like shes about to have a break down. Da lady needs help lol

When you wake up..
    I'll be a story in your head,
    But that's ok.
    We are all stories in the end.

Just make it a good one eh?
    Because it was, you know.
    It was the best.

~ The Doctor.

MsAbella ~ Priest

Commoner
    I don't get why she's all mad. They didn't pass a law saying the church had to grant same sex marriages...they passed a law saying gay people could sign a financial contract with the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gank83 View Post
    I don't get why she's all mad. They didn't pass a law saying the church had to grant same sex marriages...they passed a law saying gay people could sign a financial contract with the state.
    Actually the contract is not with the state - the contract is between the two parties just like any other contract. The state gets no benefit at all on the default of a marriage contract. The dissolution of a marriage contract is little more than a lawsuit just like any other contract disputes. When the contract is in default they are settled our of court or in front of a judge if a settlement agreement can't be reached.

@Karren -- that woman needs more than a few therapy sessions.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Commoner
    Actually the contract is not with the state - the contract is between the two parties just like any other contract. The state gets no benefit at all on the default of a marriage contract. The dissolution of a marriage contract is little more than a lawsuit just like any other contract disputes. When the contract is in default they are settled our of court or in front of a judge if a settlement agreement can't be reached.
    Yet...here in the states...the person who officiates the wedding has to be legally recognized by the state and sign your marriage contract in order for the state to recognize it. A state official has to perform the ceremony and sign the contract or it is not valid, yet you think it is not a contract with the state?

That's right. But the same can be said for any contract as binding as marriage. Most binding contracts have to be witnessed to be even marginally binding. The more binding, the higher level of authority that officiator needs to have. Marriage is pretty high on the contract totem pole so officers officiating it need to be well qualified. Why? because it will be the state that will be called upon to arbitrate disputes if it ends badly. They enforce the laws. A contract without penalties is not a contract. The state is there to ensure the contract is binding between the beneficiaries.

But that point really is moot because you are just as screwed under common law as an officiated marriage. The only thing that makes marriage different is that there is a concrete date from which to start measuring the accumulation of matrimonial assets, and the fact that in marriage alimony can be awarded to the non-earning member of a marriage.

Beyond that everything is the same - all it takes is a lawsuit after you split up. It happens. A lot. Especially in the U.S. where lawsuits are won for idiotic crap like getting scalded by coffee because McDonalds did not print "Caution Contents are Hot" on their coffee cup and the customer spills it in their lap.

With that said it is not a problem with marriage itself that I think has you in such a snit. It is the legal system in arbitrating marriages that you really have an issue with. With that said, somebody has to enforce contracts. For most of us it is the state/government that does that. The only time anybody likes that is when the legal system rules in your favor. It is damn seldom that everyone whose contract is being arbitrated is happy with the ruling. In the vast majority of cases whether it is a divorce, getting stiffed by a contractor doing work on your hose or not getting paid for doing work you did for someone else, somebody is not going to like the outcome and is going to feel like they got the sh1tty end of the stick. And it is always the arbitrator that ends up being the bad guy.
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 07-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Commoner
    With that said it is not a problem with marriage itself that I think has you in such a snit. It is the legal system in arbitrating marriages that you really have an issue with.
    I feel like you have finally made some progress. Just keep following that logic. Laws pertaining to marriage are broken as hell. Gays are celebrating they can join into a broken system. See why jokes on them?

No, I don't have a problem with marriage when it actually is about LOVE...but modern marriage laws are about MONEY.

Here in the states one of the things that is becoming popular as marriage rates decline are cohabitation agreements. You and your partner can draft up a legal contract agreeing to how all joint assets will be split in the event the relationship ends. These don't have any outside input like divorces do, they can't be over turned like a prenup, and since its a simple, binding, financial contract you don't have to fight it out in a broken family court and get milked by divorce lawyers if the relationship ends. The only things either partner has to worry about is joint assets...like if you buy a house together, a car, or have a significant amount in a joint account. You don't have to worry about your retirement accounts, or an inheritance one of you may have gotten a week before the other one ended the relationship, acquiring debt that is in your partners name, etc.

So you want to know what is a lot more appealing to me than a marriage? My partner and I could give each other medical power of attorney and draft wills inclusive of the partner, so in the event of something bad happening to one of us, the other is treated exactly as a husband or wife in this regard. We could sign a cohabitation agreement, so in the event of a break up, it has already been pre-determined while on good terms what a fair split is financially and I don't have to worry about a long, expensive, drawn out divorce in which a good lawyer, a biased judge, and a spiteful woman could easily destroy me financially.

And here is the kicker...we could also get married. Only we could have a LOVE marriage...one that is a simple social contract, or one that is recognized by the church, rather than involve the state in our marriage, as the state only cares about the financial aspect of the marriage. Of course this depends if your area has common law marriage or not, and my state does not, so I couldn't have the state tell me I was married because we lived together for a certain amount of time, just to send me through the divorce ringer when I never agreed to sign a marriage contract with the state.

Gay marriage being legalized is the tip of the iceberg as far as changes to marriage are concerned. As the marriage rate continues to drop, states are either going to replace marriage altogether, which to an extent is already being done with cohabitation agreements, or they are going to have to modify marriage laws so getting married is actually beneficial compared to the alternatives.