+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanCrow View Post
    this started from the migration did it not?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePhoenix View Post
    Next time, yes. Until then, however, the above is still wrong. You had it almost correct, though.

You have a higher chance to get it right by trying to get it wrong. Isn't that funny?

I find it funny.
    Red comma, questionable usage.
    Yellow comma, incorrect usage.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Belgium - In the sky, looking down upon you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaBandit View Post
    Red comma, questionable usage.
    Yellow comma, incorrect usage.
    Actually, in the first case, that comma is perfectly in place as it does not connect two full sentences (in which case the word 'however' should have been preceded by a semicolon).

In the second case, the use of a comma is indeed questionable. Acc. modern tendency, which leans towards less punctuations, leaving the comma out is perfectly fine (and thus prefered). However, a vocative comma is still acceptible (albeit a bit oldfashioned).

Yet it's not entirely wrong in either case - unless I'm gravely mistaken.

Since English is my fourth language - I tend to use older grammar, as I'm not being updated on a regular basis (school is now long past due).

Although I stand corrected and should perhaps use less punctuation where possible. It easily becomes a bad habbit..
    Keep your friends close - your farmers closer
    Leveling slow - to give you a headstart

BlazingSun | Sushi | Mischievous
    Gasten die ik droeg en zich nu niet gedragen voor hen werd liefde gekoesterd maar is nu diep begraven
    Bladzijde zoveel omgeslaan, de strepen die ik verdiend heb heb ik veel opgestaan
    En voor ik ga slapen stel ik u voor aan mijn normen en waarden
    Peasant | Farmer | Rancher

wow u guys are arguing over a comma while people are arguing over what color the dress is lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Bledos View Post
    wow u guys are arguing over a comma while people are arguing over what color the dress is lmao.
    Wars have been fought over less.

I'm serious.

Also, you know I never leave an educated discussion for what it is ._.

Gasten die ik droeg en zich nu niet gedragen voor hen werd liefde gekoesterd maar is nu diep begraven
    Bladzijde zoveel omgeslaan, de strepen die ik verdiend heb heb ik veel opgestaan

You just think it's not a big deal, but actually

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePhoenix View Post
    Actually, in the first case, that comma is perfectly in place as it does not connect two full sentences (in which case the word 'however' should have been preceded by a semicolon).

In the second case, the use of a comma is indeed questionable. Acc. modern tendency, which leans towards less punctuations, leaving the comma out is perfectly fine (and thus prefered). However, a vocative comma is still acceptible (albeit a bit oldfashioned).

Yet it's not entirely wrong in either case - unless I'm gravely mistaken.

Since English is my fourth language - I tend to use older grammar, as I'm not being updated on a regular basis (school is now long past due).

Although I stand corrected and should perhaps use less punctuation where possible. It easily becomes a bad habbit..
    You are usually pretty good the punctuation usage.

I use commas to place pauses in a sentence where you would expect them if it was being spoken.

In your first usage you have the commas before and after the "however" which when spoken sounds like:

"Until then {pause} however {pause} the above is still wrong."

Which to me seems a little unnatural in English when you enunciate it.

Either of these seem more natural to me.

"Until then however, the above is still wrong."
    "Until then however {pause} the above is still wrong." (this one gives equal emphasis to either side of the however)

"Until then, however the above is still wrong."
    "Until then {pause} however the above is still wrong." (this one puts more emphasis on the clause following the however).

I know English is not your primary language, but you do have an above average grasp if it even among those having English as a primary language.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Look at my sig

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBandit View Post
    You are usually pretty good the punctuation usage.

I use commas to place pauses in a sentence where you would expect them if it was being spoken.

In your first usage you have the commas before and after the "however" which when spoken sounds like:

"Until then {pause} however {pause} the above is still wrong."

Which to me seems a little unnatural in English when you enunciate it.

Either of these seem more natural to me.

"Until then however, the above is still wrong."
    "Until then however {pause} the above is still wrong." (this one gives equal emphasis to either side of the however)

"Until then, however the above is still wrong."
    "Until then {pause} however the above is still wrong." (this one puts more emphasis on the clause following the however).

I know English is not your primary language, but you do have an above average grasp if it even among those having English as a primary language.
    In above cases, the first is the most plausible and probably most up to date / modern. The second one lacks content in the first part of the sentence to allow for the comma to only be placed before 'however', but I get the idea.

I do reckon the confusion with 'however' is due to its many usages.

If 'however' indicates that the relationship between two independent clauses is one of contrast/opposition (used as a conjunctive adverb to make a compound sentence) - a semi-colon is to be used before and a comma after it. (Something I actually didn't know, semi-colons is not something I see often used.)

However, if you start a sentence with 'however' it must be immediately followed by a comma and a complete sentence thereafter (regular and probably easiest use of the word).

Using it as an aside allows for a comma both before and after the word - at least, that's what I keep encountering on the internet. http://www.sonoma.edu/users/f/farahm...es/however.pdf (not the only source I used)

Of course, you can also use it in the context 'by whatever means' (see source) - in which case neither comma nor semi-colon is required. E.g.: "However much chocolate I gave LadyIntegra, she was never satisfied."

I can conclude that it's better to avoid the word entirely when it's not fully clear, and just reform the sentence instead, heh.

Wow - I feel educated again. I'll never be able to read a sentence with 'however' in it as I did before .
    Last edited by EaglePhoenix; 02-28-2015 at 07:44 AM.