+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: TSB Changes?

Looking at both sides of the pserver vs official argument I have some insights on the matter. Pservers are built using leaked YNK server code files that are in turn reverse-engineered and patched to make it usable. 100% of them are running on old code that was leaked back in 2010 -- in short the game out there is already over 4 years out of date. Because the server is patched, there is no real source code except for a single header file that defines the basic data structures.

Every single pserver I have been involved with either as a player or a developer has been poorly implemented and out of date. 80% of them don't even have an exchange market -- which is like 50% of the reason to play this game in the first place. Most of them disable the heroic skill, not because it is OP, but because they have no idea hwo top balance a server that has them. One that I know of actually makes strong strides to break this generalization, but I have no confidence personally that it will ever open. And when it does, it will still be built on top of buggy, out of date code.

Is playing on the official server expensive? Damn right it is!! Is it worth playing on the official server? Depends on the beating your wallet can take and how much you want to play th4e verion that is actually updated. Is playing on the official server better than playing on a pserver? Again it depends on the player and what they want from the game. If you want to be able to compete effectively for a little money as possible probably not because you will drop hundreds of US dollars here to be competitive?

Pservers on the other hand need donations to run and will provide you with non-equipment powerups for your money as well as far more in-game goodies than the official game. It costs less, but will that pserver actually be around in a 6 months to a year? Chances are not. They are also very unstable when compared to Offical Rohan being subject to sudden server outages and frequent DDoS attacks.

Also, and let's fact facts here, because Rohan pservers run using leaked server code as opposed to a homegrown emulator, they are running illegally and are subject to DMCA takedown orders (most pservers get around that by using offshore hosting that is outside US DMCA jurisdiction).

Finally pservers are run by Rohan gamers not an actual corporation. There is no corporate management structure and thus all it takes is for a dev of a pserver to get pissed off to shut that pserver down for good (happens a LOT). Also a lot of them are simply in it to make a quick buck by collecting lots of 'honeymoon period' donations, and disappearing after a couple months.

There are a lot of really smart guys out there working on Rohan pservers. What they manage to do with old, out of date code is pretty amazing. But at the end of the day is is binfile manipulation, hooking and hacking. You will never get a quality game server running doing that.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAce View Post
    There are no good pservers and there have never been any good pservers you just have low standards.
    You have no right to call anybody's standards low if you continue to be treated like a dish rag by Playwith. Whallow in the muck and scum of what you've become.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodybladez3 View Post
    You have no right to call anybody's standards low if you continue to be treated like a dish rag by Playwith. Whallow in the muck and scum of what you've become.
    I could point at about a dozen indo pservers out there that treat you worse.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodybladez3 View Post
    Way to take a jab at me for telling the truth LOL pservers live on one model:

"Hey guys its a fresh start!" and the honeymoon phase that follows. The entire pserver scene is just groups of ppl who take the fresh start and the 3 month honeymoon phase pvp then pack up and move on to the next one. Yeah no thanks at least I know here if you put in 10 bucks or 10 hours or whatever you put in its going to be here in the long run.

Iceyy- Borderline retired rohan expert.
    TERA (USA): Ohaiyo @ Ascention Valley
    Need help? PM me

...I know here if you put in 10 bucks or 10 hours or whatever you put in its going to be here in the long run.
    Not so sure I would go quite that far lil miss Strellan. I'm been expecting offy to shut its doors at any moment and wouldn't be really all that surprised to see it gone on Monday. It is only (very) recently that it started drawing players back to check out the new content incoming. Whether Trinity will be enough to keep people here or they leave when the honeymoon is over remains to be seen.

But do I expect anything I put into this game to be there in the long run? No.

Dont nitpick at my word choice the long run relative to any private server you could have figured that out.

Iceyy- Borderline retired rohan expert.
    TERA (USA): Ohaiyo @ Ascention Valley
    Need help? PM me

everything has a beginning and an end.
    -Jebus
    DarkPulse, Iceyy's Pimp.

. Amen .

Dont nitpick at my word choice the long run relative to any private server you could have figured that out.
    Well, that's just the point. This game could shut down tomorrow and it will be the pservers that are still out there running that is 'still there'.

You don't honestly think PWi will give you any kind of warning that they will shut down do you? When they go, it will be sudden and without warning to reduce the possible backlash from the threats, rages, flames, subpoenas, warrants, torches and pitchforks. So you could start up the client tomorrow, find it does not let you start the game and the forums shut down permanently.

There is no such thing as permanence or even real longevity. RBF has been running on pretty much borrowed time for the past 2 years and I honestly expected it to be done a year ago.

The whole Trinity thing is it's last ditch attempt to stay alive in North America. I for one hope it is successful and adds something truly new to a really tired and obsolete game.
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 02-08-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Banned
    Pre epic era, TSB was best one!

Commander
    tbh no one logs unless it's event time and ruler pvp.

I've talked a bit and well, almost everyone gave up on levelling, +10 is pissing off people as hell. So they reach 115, then just log for ruler pvp, tsb, PA and SA.

And move on another game when its done.
    Don't hate, friends.