+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    All I'm saying is that it's still a workaround and not a hard fix because the flawed code is just being circumvented and not altered. Therefore nothing is technically fixed.
    Last edited by Neophyte28; 11-23-2014 at 02:07 PM.

besides HK help us to level up when we're AFK. lol

Amalager - Assassin
    Arus Server

From HKs to pservers to balance lol!!!
    Still more interesting than the real game xD
    LacieLane 135 Wizard
    Priestess 128 Priest

Quit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte28 View Post
    All I'm saying is that it's still a workaround and not a hard fix because the flawed code is just being circumvented and not altered. Therefore nothing is technically fixed.
    Lol Ish, you are trying to teach grandpa how to suck eggs.

Perception is 90% of reality my dear friend.

What you call workarounds, I call functional replacement because the original bugged function is completely replaced with your own and not executed.

Does it really matter what methods you use to fix a problem as long you do fix it? Here's a little story about the value of 'workarounds' from my own personal experience:

With my previous employer we would get calls from clients that were having issues with their application servers. Those servers are used everywhere. Some of those issues were so severe that the server could not stay running and they were losing huge money by the hour either because the assembly line for their cars came to a stop or perhaps the check-in system at the airport stopped working and flights were being delayed because people could not get checked in. They turned to us to fix them (yes, the customers I worked with were that big and so were their problems). Guys like these can't wait for us to code something up and we had to get them running again immediately. So we would look at the problem, perhaps find the root cause being a corrupt record in their database transaction log.

We copy the record out and clean up the log, they are running again. We give them instructions on what to do if it happens again. That is a work around because we fixed a problem without putting any functional code in place at all. We also told them what to do if it happens again so they would not need to call our panic line. Sure we would need to do a lot of forensic work to find out why that record got corrupted but at the end of the day it is a work-around that gets them running and keeps them running. In may 80% of cases like this that workaround ends up being a permanent fix.

Quote Originally Posted by RBNXD View Post
    From HKs to pservers to balance lol!!!
    Still more interesting than the real game xD
    Something many of us found out a looong time ago And it is cheaper entertainment too!
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 11-24-2014 at 04:28 AM.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Then you coders are all noobs Do a proper job for once in your lives

Not really sure how it works in coding, I can only talk from experience in my field which is engineering. Usually a workaround does become a permanent fix, purely because it works for a while and the affected person / company forgets about it or adjusts. Its not until many years down the line that a "bodge job" can turn around and bite you in the ass!
    First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
    Finally they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

~ Martin Niemöller

I work in a similar mechanical/engineering side of things and I cannot stand bodge jobs. I'm not part of the crew who do the fixing but I always insist on a proper fix being made to my machine. Because of that, it's one of the best running machines in the factory.

#campaignagainstbodgejobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwattybollox View Post
    Not really sure how it works in coding, I can only talk from experience in my field which is engineering. Usually a workaround does become a permanent fix, purely because it works for a while and the affected person / company forgets about it or adjusts. Its not until many years down the line that a "bodge job" can turn around and bite you in the ass!
    Indeed it can. In the case of my customers, they want a fast fix and something they can deal with themselves rather than wait for the weeks it takes to get a tested 'code' solution to them. In the case of those mission critical applications the workaround becomes permanent fix because the client is unwilling to go thru the testing and downtime needed to put the code fix in to keep the original problem from happening again.

This is also one of the reasons you don't see real fixes here for many of the existing problems. Putting in a fix requires regression and customer (player) testing to see how the change will affect gameplay. If they feel there is any risk at all of changing the dynamics of the game (i.e. fixing Temp's Blunt), they will not consider putting it in for fear of reducing an already meager income stream.

Fixing blunt will have templar players dumping their temps and all the income from that goes up in smoke. For iRohan that is disaster since it is the templar players that is actually supporting this game. Likewise game balancing. Will you see these guys actually balance the game? No. Because it will cost them tones of money to do the balancing and testing when they cannot predict what effect it will have on that precious, but low income.

So you won't see 'bodge jobs' here. In fact you won't see any kind of 'jobs' here. All additions you see are those that they think current players will lay down cash for (i.e. upgrades) and additions that maybe can draw players (trinity).

You won't see attempts to truly balance the game or fix the existing problems here. That is left for those of us 'out there' to figure out and make happen with our 'bodge jobs'.
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 11-24-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

I prefer boob jobs and blow jobs.

pie > cake.