+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaBandit View Post
    So when Rohan shuts down, what are yo going to do about it? All your "personal property" is gone.

In fact the ToS itself (you know that thing you agreed to by making an account here) states in no uncertain terms exactly what your rights are in regards to virtual goods and your account here.

You can sit in a French courtroom and rage about it til doomsday, but that ToS is attached to a service provided by an American company. Regardless of what a French court defines within its borders that ToS document, and your willing acceptance of it is the law here as recognized by International Law.
    We're talking about a thievery (on which the french law applies), so that isn't going to go upon an US court. The french judge is going to see what are the legal precedents regarding those virtual goods, and if the contract says anything different than the legal precedents, he will consider the contract void, because unlawful according to legal precedents.

International law doesn't even apply wtf.

Banned
    You can sit in a French courtroom and rage about it til doomsday, but that ToS is attached to a service provided by an American company. Regardless of what a French court defines within its borders that ToS document, and your willing acceptance of it is the law here as recognized by the International community. Local french statutes do not outweigh international law.
    Since when a contract outrules law ruling a crime ?

And no, the ToS doesn't state the status of the virtual goods, they state about intellectual property.
    Last edited by eikniwt; 02-16-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Good luck trying to get a defendant out of his country and into France without applying international law. That just won't happen. Sorry. In fact the amounts involved in Rohan account scams are barely covered by civil small claims courts.

Just saying if you want to try and prosecute somebody in another country, you are going to have to use International law to do it.

Let's say I live in Russia and I hop on a bus to France and I steal your car. I drive back to Russia. Do you honestly think you can get me back to France and that you will ever see your car again without invoking International law and interpol? Seriously?
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 02-16-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Banned
    Not even. I'll request a mutual legal assistance.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/criminal...e/index_en.htm

Banned
    Let's say I live in Russia and I hop on a bus to France and I steal your car. I drive back to Russia. Do you honestly think you can get me back to France and that you will ever see your car again without invoking International law and interpol? Seriously?
    If there is a MLA treaty, I don't even need. I'll just need the french judge to do a request of extradition if both countries has signed it, and voila, the french law applies. The police of your country is going to look for you, and once you're caught, they're sending you in plane in my country with handcuffs.

Banned
    Fnny thing is that there are only 18 countries that haven't signed it with my country yet and guess what ? I bet anyone who's playing Rohan is not from these countries. (notable exception being switzerland).

lol. if you get scammed in Rohan or it shuts down I really hope that works for you. It won't, but lol

You do understand what extradition is used for right? Major felonies - Murder, Treason, things like that. Not for online game account plundering. A judge would laugh you out of the courtrool if you asked him for an extradition order for something so minor.

I mean seriously getting a country to expedite someone because they scammed you in an online game? omgwtflilmao.

Talk to your lawyer. Please!! Don't respond until you do. Jeez this is funny as hell.
    Last edited by BananaBandit; 02-16-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    There is nothing noble about being superior to others. True nobility is gained by becoming superior to one's former self.

Quote Originally Posted by eikniwt View Post
    "To date, there have been very few lawsuits in the U.S. involving virtual goods. One case against the operator of Second Life settled out of court and another seeking to define the rights of purchasers of virtual property in Second Life is ongoing. As is frequently the case, technology far outpaces the law and the law struggles to catch up. Given the large amounts of money at stake, hopefully the uncertainty of the legal status of virtual goods will be resolved sooner rather than later."

That question has been already answered in France, as there are already four legal precedents, all going with personnal property definition.

There are actually no legal status of virtual goods in USA and the ToS doesn't apply if there is a sue against one individual (and not against PLW). One individual can't raise a contract that hasn't been signed between the two parties involved in the law dispute ; so the law applies (or legal precedents) and the ToS are irrelevant.
    It should be noted that lindens are an exchangeable currency unlike rps.

Iceyy- Borderline retired rohan expert.
    TERA (USA): Ohaiyo @ Ascention Valley
    Need help? PM me

Banned
    lol. if you get scammed in Rohan or it shuts down I really hope that works for you. It won't, but lol

You do understand what extradition is used for right? Major felonies - Murder, Treason, things like that. Not for online game account plundering. A judge would laugh you out of the courtrool if you asked him for an extradition order for something so minor.

I mean seriously getting a country to expedite someone because they scammed you in an online game? omgwtflilmao.

Talk to your lawyer. Please!! Don't respond until you do. Jeez this is funny as hell.
    It happens more than you think in France. Plz I've done legal studies and seen many cases like this when studying international law. Even happens when there are bank card fraudulent transactions. MLA are requested every day, from every countries.
    Last edited by eikniwt; 02-16-2015 at 04:14 PM.

You still do not get it. We are not talking about bank fraud here (A felony). We are talking about theft of intangible virtual goods inside a closed computer system. That is something that is only defined as a crime - according to you -- in France. It is for instance not a felony where I live.

In order for extradition to work BOTH countries have to agree a felony was committed. If France is the only country that defines theft of intangible virtual goods as a felony, there will be no extradition unless the country requested agrees (It won't). No country can FORCE another to extradite accused people for trial.